...Red flag warning in effect from noon MDT /100 PM CDT/ today to 600 PM MDT /700 PM CDT/ this evening for low relative humidity and gusty west to northwest winds for South Dakota fire weather zone 265...
The National Weather Service in Rapid City has issued a red flag warning for low relative humidity and gusty west to northwest winds...which is in effect from noon MDT /100 PM CDT/ today to 600 PM MDT /700 PM CDT/ this evening. The Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
* Affected area...fire weather zone 265 south central South Dakota.
* Winds...west to northwest increasing to 15 to 25 mph by early afternoon...with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Timing...this afternoon.
* Relative humidity...as low as 15 percent this afternoon.
* Temperatures...highs in the upper 60s.
* Impacts...the combination of low humidity...dry fuels...and gusty winds will create critical fire weather conditions this afternoon.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.