... Red flag warning in effect from noon today to 9 PM MDT this
evening due to strong winds and low humidity...
This warning upgrades the Fire Weather Watch which was previously
* Area affected: portions of southwest and south-central New
Mexico including fire weather zones 110 111 112 and 113. Far
West Texas including fire weather zone 055.
* Timing: today from noon to 9 PM MDT.
* Wind: west at 20 mph at the 20-foot level with gusts 30 to 35
mph in the afternoon... strongest along east facing mountain
* Humidity: minimum 5 to 9 percent in The Lowlands... 9 to 15
percent in the higher elevations.
* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
Outdoor burning is not recommended.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures will
create extreme fire growth potential.