I had this same problem back in February when a colony of incredibly tiny ants had moved into my connector. I replaced the connector back then and sealed it with liquid rubber on top of electrical tape. Looks like I must have sealed in some moisture somehow because when I took apart the connector today, the contacts were corroded again. Luckily, I had some extra phone end connectors and a phone end connector repair tool, which I used to replaced the corroded end leading to the rain gauge. Fortunately, I had another male to male connector to join the rain gauge connector to the phone extension cable leading to the transmitter. We had a light drizzle just as I finished wrapping up the connector with a special kind of tape that my son showed me how to use, but the rain gauge didn't measure anything, so I went outside and poured a little water from my bottled water into it and heard two clicks. When I went inside to look at my console, it had registered the two clicks as .02 of an inch and the rate of my pouring as .24 inches and hour. Success! Hopefully it will last for a while.
Updated: 2:27 AM GMT on June 19, 2012
A A A