DAM's Place

By: DontAnnoyMe , 3:59 AM GMT on January 03, 2011

Interior decorating suggestions courtesy of RIDGES.

Map

Reader Comments

Comments will take a few seconds to appear.

Post Your Comments

Please sign in to post comments.

Display: 0, 50, 100, 200 Sort: Newest First - Order Posted

Viewing: 100 - 50

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

100. DontAnnoyMe
9:15 PM GMT on July 01, 2012
Quoting Ylee:
Happy birthday, DAM!

You know, with the drought in your area, I'd advise not putting a candle on your cake for every year of your existance! :)

Thanks, YL. No cake's big enough anyway lol.
99. Ylee
8:58 AM GMT on July 01, 2012
Happy birthday, DAM!

98. DontAnnoyMe
7:17 PM GMT on June 30, 2012
Quoting Bogon:
Ha, using my incredible powers of deduction I conclude that it must be that time of year again.

Happy birthday, DAM!

Brilliant! Thanks Bog!
97. Bogon
6:28 PM GMT on June 29, 2012

Happy birthday, DAM!
96. DontAnnoyMe
4:31 AM GMT on July 03, 2011
Thanks, sandi and gamma!
95. seflagamma
12:00 PM GMT on July 02, 2011
I saw on Sandi's blog that today is your Birthday also so

Have a wonderful and Happy Happy Birthday!

img
94. sandiquiz
6:02 AM GMT on July 02, 2011
Thank you for the birthday wishes - May I wish you the same,

Happy Birthday to you :))
93. DontAnnoyMe
12:40 AM GMT on June 08, 2011
Quoting PSLFLCaneVet:

Bump! Getting just a bit weary of the narration....:)

Soon we'll be on the next page. hehehe

Yep, 7 more to go. That'll take another few weeks ;-)
92. PSLFLCaneVet
12:33 AM GMT on June 08, 2011

Bump! Getting just a bit weary of the narration....:)

Soon we'll be on the next page. hehehe
91. DontAnnoyMe
12:25 AM GMT on June 08, 2011
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:
Hey DAM! Can you hear me now??

Indeedy!
90. GrillinInTheEye
12:23 AM GMT on June 08, 2011
Hey DAM! Can you hear me now??
89. Bogon
4:48 PM GMT on May 14, 2011
Bump. Just passin' through, thought I would say howdy. :o)
88. DontAnnoyMe
6:45 PM GMT on March 25, 2011
Thanks for visiting, ylee and todd.

Hi Grill and Vet, hope you're back on soon.
87. toddluck
2:56 PM GMT on March 25, 2011
mornin dam thanks for the info
86. Ylee
2:51 PM GMT on March 25, 2011
For PSL and Grill, and all our WU friends, a Moment of Zen:
85. DontAnnoyMe
2:08 AM GMT on March 07, 2011
Quoting Bogon:
Howdy, Mr. D.

Did you get any sleep last night? I don't know how far east you live in Carrboro.

LOL, yeah, got to bed an hour b4 your post, only a bit later than my usual time. I'm about as far west in Carrboro as one can be - 'bout 700' from the line, 2.5 mi. from Franklin and Columbia as the crow flies. Still, I can hear football stadium loudspeaker, if the wind is right.

Just happened to be in the Carr Mill area in Carrboro at the time the game ended, and heard the uproar explode out of the several nearby saloons. Didn't venture any further east though. Last time I witnessed that spectacle was in '09. If you've never been, don't miss it next time.

Although I worked at UNC for 27 years and should still be a rabid Heels fan, I don't really follow hoops much any more. I usually only know enough to know who in the ACC is the top 3, who in the ACC is in the AP top 20, and how many losses Duke has. Yeah, I guess I still do hate them that much ;-) Might get excited enough to watch some tournament and Final Four, and depending on who's in, the Finals. At any rate, you're right: anything can happen!
84. Bogon
11:08 AM GMT on March 06, 2011
Howdy, Mr. D.

83. DontAnnoyMe
2:34 AM GMT on February 17, 2011
Quoting PSLFLCaneVet:

Morning, pardner! How are things?
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:
Hey DAM!

Hey, been busy with domestic matters and had keyboard failure. Fixed it by shaking, connecting to laptop, and putting back on PC. Nothing big fell out, so I'm not sure what was wrong. Was worried it was the system board. Warranty expires Friday, prob will croak again for good Sat.!

Uh-oh, I hear the dinner bell, BBL.
82. GrillinInTheEye
10:19 PM GMT on February 16, 2011
Hey DAM!
81. PSLFLCaneVet
9:51 PM GMT on February 16, 2011

Morning, pardner! How are things?
80. PSLFLCaneVet
2:03 AM GMT on February 16, 2011

A personal favorite:

79. PSLFLCaneVet
1:28 AM GMT on February 16, 2011

I can relate to FWIW. It's heck gettin' old. LOL
78. DontAnnoyMe
1:24 AM GMT on February 15, 2011
Quoting PSLFLCaneVet:

Good to hear it.

Quoting yourself, eh. LOL (laughing out louder)

Wow, I missed your post too. Must have FWIW.

Still have 2 tickets in - re iFrame support and link button not working in email. I should check the email one again, maybe that got fixed w/the new version. BBL, prob. quoting myself again ;-)
77. DontAnnoyMe
1:14 AM GMT on February 15, 2011
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:
Evening DAM, If I promise to play nice can I hang here for a bit?

Ha, a bit late, but yeah, sure. Any time at all.

76. GrillinInTheEye
10:22 PM GMT on February 10, 2011
Evening DAM, If I promise to play nice can I hang here for a bit?
75. PSLFLCaneVet
10:20 PM GMT on February 10, 2011
Quoting DontAnnoyMe:

Problem fixed.

Good to hear it.

Quoting yourself, eh. LOL (laughing out louder)
74. DontAnnoyMe
10:20 PM GMT on February 10, 2011
Quoting PSLFLCaneVet:

Popping in to say: Hello!

Enjoy the day, friend. TTYL, GGPBL

LOL you too.
73. DontAnnoyMe
10:17 PM GMT on February 10, 2011
Quoting DontAnnoyMe:
I've submitted a support ticket about the handle problem.

Problem fixed.
72. PSLFLCaneVet
3:48 PM GMT on February 10, 2011

Popping in to say: Hello!

Enjoy the day, friend. TTYL, GGPBL
71. DontAnnoyMe
9:54 PM GMT on February 07, 2011
Good afternoon.

Quoting PSLFLCaneVet:

Good afternoon.

Thought I'd make sure your place stays on the first page.

TYVM

Quoting Bogon:

My fave blogs sorts the last activity time properly.

I've submitted a support ticket about the handle problem. That's a strange one, as the proper URL shows in the status bar. You can use that to get to the different sections by modifying the URL in the browser URL box.

Has anyone submitted a ticket on the special characters/modify comment issue?
70. Bogon
9:31 PM GMT on February 07, 2011
Yep, it looks as though the WU developers have got the "Last Activity" column sorting algorithm working so that it does a numeric sort on time intervals, and it lists minutes before hours before days. At first it was doing a straight alphabetic sort, so that '10' comes after '1' and before '2'.

The last time I checked, they still don't have things working on all the tabs on the blog list. On "My Favorite Blogs" it still sorts "3 days" ahead of "3 hours". On "Member Handle" you can't get past the first page. However it is possible to click the "Member" column header on the "Author Locations" tab, which causes the list to be sorted alphabetically by member name.
69. PSLFLCaneVet
8:50 PM GMT on February 07, 2011

Good afternoon.

Thought I'd make sure your place stays on the first page.
68. Bogon
4:58 AM GMT on February 07, 2011
The problem is made worse because different computer operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux etc.) use slightly different character sets. For instance, the PC keyboard uses straight vertical quotes and apostrophe ('). I don't have one to test, but I'm pretty sure Mac offers distinct left and right quotes (‘’) and a properly slanted apostrophe. I'm not sure the latter will even show up on a PC. I don't know how the Mac displays native PC characters.

All these systems should handle HTML codes the same, at least to the extent that the installed browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera or whatever) supports W3C standards.

At least part of your problem entering characters in a comment box may be that WU's servers don't run the same operating system you do. I haven't tried to figure that out, but I can't think of any reason to assume they're running, for example, Windows. Apache on Linux is a good bet.
66. DontAnnoyMe
3:26 AM GMT on February 07, 2011
Quoting MichaelSTL:

This points to a bug on WU's end in their comment modification software.

Was it keeping special characters when modifying on the old site?
64. PSLFLCaneVet
3:09 AM GMT on February 07, 2011

Freakin' programmers.

G'night, folks. (winks)

63. Ylee
9:08 PM GMT on February 06, 2011
As for me, I'm applying the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) for posting and blogging. It's been 15 years since last I messed with HTML... gotta knock the rust off while trying not to look like a retard...
62. DontAnnoyMe
10:11 PM GMT on February 02, 2011
Quoting Bogon:
Oh, yeah, voice of experience:

If you modify a comment here on WU, you'll have to reenter all the special character codes. That's because, once you hit the Submit button, they convert from codes to the actual characters. That's how they appear when you open the comment for editing. Then it's as if you had entered the characters from the keyboard. You'll get question marks (missing characters in your chosen font) or Unicode values in their place if you submit them directly.

Yeah, it's a pain, especially if it's a long comment. The best advice I can offer is to use a separate editor such as Notepad to compose your comment. Copy and paste your HTML from the editor into the comment box. If you have to change something, you still have the original HTML (with all the codes, etc.) in the editor.

Haha, found that out rather quickly last night.
61. DontAnnoyMe
10:09 PM GMT on February 02, 2011
Quoting Bogon:
Hey, DAM.

Last night I saw that you were asking about umlauts and tildes and such over on Grill's blog. It looked as though you tried entering characters directly from the keyboard. In general that won't work for HTML. You have to use special codes sandwiched between an ampersand and a semicolon. There's a nifty list here. (I left a link to a different list over at Grill's.)

For each listed symbol or character there is a numeric code and a mnemonic code. I like to use the name if I can, because it is easier for me to remember than a number. Not all the codes work on all sites or in all browsers. I found at least one case (angle brackets) where I had to use the numeric codes on WU. When in doubt use the preview button.

Thanks, Bog. I did have it working using the ALT-number keyboard method with Western encoding, but it was defaulting back to UTF-8. I thought the keyboard method worked for the old site, though. Maybe not¡
60. Bogon
10:02 PM GMT on February 02, 2011
Oh, yeah, voice of experience:

59. PSLFLCaneVet
9:54 PM GMT on February 02, 2011

I like the soundtrack. Very nice!
58. Bogon
9:48 PM GMT on February 02, 2011
Hey, DAM.

57. GrillinInTheEye
10:20 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
Not a RAM issue. He's still crashing. I'm gonna try and bring it up through IE
56. PSLFLCaneVet
10:04 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
OK I'm back on his. I'm back my archives. See how many I can get through.
55. DontAnnoyMe
9:59 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:
was pretty messed up last night. Figured I do this sober.

LOL, that may help
54. GrillinInTheEye
9:58 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
was pretty messed up last night. Figured I do this sober.
53. DontAnnoyMe
9:55 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:
Made it through five of them and went in reboot. I'm bringing it back up now. Gonna try and change out his RAM.

OK, thought you did that last night.
52. GrillinInTheEye
9:35 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
51. PSLFLCaneVet
9:30 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
Hey DAM It's Grillin, I just finished vacuuming out vet's computer. Reseated the memory chips and I'm running through the archive to see what happens.
50. DontAnnoyMe
9:17 PM GMT on January 05, 2011
Quoting GrillinInTheEye:

Give me a yell when you get online. I'll be home around 4. Maybe we can figure this out.

Yell-o