Rare January tornado hits Vancouver, Washington

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 1:33 PM GMT on January 11, 2008

A rare tornado hit Vancouver, Washington (just north of Portland, Oregon) on Thursday at noon local time. The unusual twister demolished a rowing club, downed power lines, uprooted trees, and tossed shopping carts into cars along its four mile path. No injuries were reported, though. The state of Washington averages about two tornadoes per year. Yesterday's tornado was only the third January tornado observed in Washington since 1950, according to the National Climatic Data Center (2000 and 2006 were the other years). Tornadoes were also reported yesterday in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. About 100 houses were damaged and destroyed and 11 people were injured in Lowndes County, Mississippi from one of the tornadoes. A total of 34 tornadoes have been confirmed for the severe weather outbreak that began on January 7th, and total number of tornadoes could reach 60 or more by the time all the damage surveys are complete. More tornadoes are expected today from the Florida Panhandle northeastward to coastal North Carolina. Watch the Weather Underground's Severe Weather Page and Tornado Page to keep up with the storms.

Figure 1. Storm reports for Thursday, January 10, 2008. Image credit: NOAA's Storm Prediction Center.

Katrina damage claims exceed $3 quadrillion
According to the Associated Press, $3,014,170,389,176,410 in claims have been filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following Hurricane Katrina. Of the 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said 247 were for at least $1 billion, including one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

Jeff Masters

Missouri tornandos (bikesnapper)
Our news commented that for Springfield there were 63 tornado warnings over 15 hours of which at least 10 passed over the city. It was a very long scary night that these storms kept coming and coming and coming
Missouri tornandos
Tornado Damage in Vancouver (weathercrazy82)
A rare EF-1 tornado does quite a bit of damage...
Tornado Damage in Vancouver
Bus on the Roof (DUNDEEYANK)
The F3 hit Caledonia school campus just after 2PM. All personnel were in the hallways. No deaths only minor injuries. Photos by my son Kristofer
Bus on the Roof

Reader Comments

Comments will take a few seconds to appear.

Post Your Comments

Please sign in to post comments.

Display: 0, 50, 100, 200 Sort: Newest First - Order Posted

Viewing: 113 - 63

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10Blog Index

113. Bonedog
12:53 PM EST on January 11, 2008
NE your in line for the next round. cells coming from Conn newrd. Look pretty potent too. seeing some 55dbz sigs
112. Bonedog
12:54 PM EST on January 11, 2008
heavy rain starting now
111. Bonedog
12:47 PM EST on January 11, 2008
thats why I grabbed the camera gear. Last few days showed the same thing. Small little storms early in the morning then BAM a line forms and just keeps getting worse and worse.

Appears its doing the same here. PHI Forcast office keeps the mention of isolated tornados in the forcast this afternoon till around 4pm.

Im ready and will be on the road in about 15-20 minutes. I am going to try and get some photos
109. Bonedog
12:45 PM EST on January 11, 2008

Dense Fog Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
1127 AM EST FRI JAN 11 2008

...DENSE FOG IN PLACE OVER THE AREA...

.WARM...MOIST AIR IS OVERSPREADING COLDER WATERS...RESULTING IN
AREAS OF DENSE FOG ACROSS THE AREA. THIS FOG WILL DISSIPATE LATER
THIS AFTERNOON AS A COLD FRONT APPROACHES FROM THE WEST.

CTZ009>012-NJZ005-006-011-NYZ071>081-112000-
/O.NEW.KOKX.FG.Y.0001.080111T1627Z-080111T2000Z/
SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-
SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-
KINGS (BROOKLYN)-QUEENS-NASSAU-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-
NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-
1127 AM EST FRI JAN 11 2008

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.

A WARM FRONT HAS LIFTED NORTH ACROSS THE AREA...AND SOUTHERLY
WINDS WILL USHER A WARMER AND MORE HUMID AIRMASS ACROSS THE
REGION. AS A RESULT...WIDESPREAD DENSE FOG WILL BE IN PLACE UNTIL
A COLD FRONT PUSHES ACROSS THE REGION LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

A DENSE FOG ADVISORY MEANS VISIBILITIES WILL FREQUENTLY BE
REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE. IF DRIVING...SLOW DOWN...
USE YOUR HEADLIGHTS...AND LEAVE PLENTY OF DISTANCE AHEAD OF YOU
108. Bonedog
12:40 PM EST on January 11, 2008
That line is starting to look ominous. Im looking southwest of my location and sky is darkening.

I too hear the distant rubbles.
107. Bonedog
12:38 PM EST on January 11, 2008
yea P4 going to be a rough afternoon till about 5 or 6pm maybe a little later.

Keep an eye to the sky and an ear to the NOAA Radio
105. KEEPEROFTHEGATE (Mod)
5:22 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
i do beleive a siberian express is on it way as flow changes over n pacfic will allow all that cold air to move down and across north america over next ten days expect snowy pattern for rest of jan starting on 14 with very cold air moving in for the entire month of feb.
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
104. Weather456
1:17 PM AST on January 11, 2008
ok i have it now....its my firewall was blocking it.
103. cchsweatherman
12:09 PM EST on January 11, 2008
101. Weather456 11:49 AM EST on January 11, 2008
CCH were do u leave the comments? I am on the comments page but i dont see anything to post.

You should see this on the Comments page screen.

img src="Photobucket" width="" height="" alt="" />
101. Weather456
1:04 PM AST on January 11, 2008
99. Bonedog
12:07 PM EST on January 11, 2008
yea Lake impressive isnt it!!

Its going to be something as it presses through
98. Weather456
12:52 PM AST on January 11, 2008
93. cchsweatherman 1:02 PM AST on January 11, 2008
456, I should have placed that at #2 on the Records List for this past hurricane season, since it was that amazing. Also, I do not know if you noticed this, but I had included a table with the numbers from the last three years as well as columns for 2008 predictions. I think that I will come out with my first predictions for the 2008 Hurricane Season sometime in early March. Is that too soon to post them?

By the way 456, thanks for visiting my site. Leave me a comment on my Comments page about what you think of the site.

I will post my update May 31....the day b4 hurricane season. Also u can post urs in March but u should update, adjust or reissue it as time goes on and information about conditions changes.
97. LakeShadow
4:42 PM GMT on January 11, 2008

look at that frontal boundary!
96. Weather456
12:46 PM AST on January 11, 2008
Un believable infrared temps over Siberia...its down right cold

95. Bonedog
11:56 AM EST on January 11, 2008

cells starting to pop southwest of me heading my way

94. LakeShadow
5:00 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
New Bedford and Cape Cod are about to get a good dose of Tstorms.
93. cchsweatherman
11:59 AM EST on January 11, 2008

91. LakeShadow
4:42 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
I would like to wish you a spotting, bone, but that would mean a tornado for some poor folks (that were probably not expecting it) so I'm conflicted. So I guess I wish for you to catch a touchdown somewhere remote and unpopulated...but not your house... :OP
90. Weather456
12:52 PM AST on January 11, 2008
I was checking CCH website and i found this....i knew it already but it still amazes me till this day

4. Only the second time in history that a Hurricane Hunter mission had to be aborted. (Large ice chunks forming in the upper atmosphere along with extreme turbulence in Felix caused hurricane hunters to abort the mission and exit the storm. The plane suffered huge dents in its frame.)
89. Weather456
12:32 PM AST on January 11, 2008
MichaelSTL,

yeah

with a little cold you cant say global is finish...the cold might not even last till february.
88. Bonedog
11:50 AM EST on January 11, 2008
stream here ya go

SPC

all the diffrent charts are in drop downs on the left
87. LakeShadow
4:37 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
82. MichaelSTL 4:30 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
Check out the atlantic in that graphic. Its illustrates the weak 2007 tropical season...that's where storms went *poof*
86. streamtracker
4:44 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
Bonedog could I have the link to the MCS graph you posted at comment #65.

Thanks.
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
85. Bonedog
11:37 AM EST on January 11, 2008
all the ingrediants are there Lake. The 12z Skew chart has wetted my whistle. With the front still not here and the bulk of moisture still over PA and me leaving in an hour...

yea Im tingling :)
83. cchsweatherman
11:47 AM EST on January 11, 2008
I have just updated my site and have included the Southeast severe weather outbreak and the possible invest on the home page.
81. LakeShadow
4:45 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
starting to tingle, bone?
80. LakeShadow
4:43 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
thank, quasigeostropic...btw..clever handle name.
79. Bonedog
11:39 AM EST on January 11, 2008
might have a shot at a chase :)
78. Bonedog

77. quasigeostropic
4:35 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
MCS: Mesoscale Convective System
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
76. NEwxguy
4:34 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
Yeh,Lake and another cell moving up close to me alittle south of boston.
75. LakeShadow
4:31 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
bone, whats MCS?
74. Weather456
4:28 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
still the system is rather impressive still needs the lapse rate between the SST and the air temp at 500 mb to steep enough to get some convection going.
73. LakeShadow
4:13 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
NE looks like an impressive cell is about to cross into Mass. from E. Rhode Island.
72. Weather456
4:24 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
62. cchsweatherman 3:34 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
Based upon both visible and infrared loops, it appears that the closed circulation no longer is exposed and convection has developed over it.

over the center or the circulation? I am seeing cumulonimbus clouds over the center but the circulation still has fair-weather cumulus present.
71. LakeShadow
4:20 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
yep...the temps are dropping fast now. An hour ago it was 46 and now its 40 so...I think my brief break from winter is coming to an end.
70. Bonedog
11:14 AM EST on January 11, 2008
yea it should be with a 90% MCS!!

got my camera gear in the truck just incase ;)
69. NEwxguy
4:20 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
Thundering outside,this is January right?
68. NEwxguy
4:12 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
I don't like the looks of that.
67. LakeShadow
4:11 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
its doing it again...posts going to an auto repair site in Japan...

ahh...there it is, nevermind. :)
66. LakeShadow
4:06 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
maybe not for you, bone, but that looks great for me! :oP
I dont care for the cold snowy winter...I like warm. Only this time of year can rain make me greatful...unless of course theres been a drought. (Which on the East end of the GL is not common)
65. Bonedog
10:50 AM EST on January 11, 2008
this isnt good :/

64. NEwxguy
3:40 PM GMT on January 11, 2008
having a lot of rain this morning,3/4 inch of rain most of it since 6 a.m this morning
63. Bonedog
10:43 AM EST on January 11, 2008
tornado outbreaks, snows in baghdad, invests, avalanches, heavy snows, record warmth and its only January 11.

Man I dont not like this trend... going to be a wild ride this year.

Viewing: 113 - 63

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10Blog Index

Top of Page
Ad Blocker Enabled

Category 6™

About

Cat 6 lead authors: WU cofounder Dr. Jeff Masters (right), who flew w/NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990, & WU meteorologist Bob Henson, @bhensonweather

JeffMasters's Recent Photos