... Lake effect snow warning remains in effect until 7 am EST
* locations... northern Herkimer and Hamilton counties in the
* Accumulations... localized additional snow accumulation of 4 to 8
inches across northern Herkimer County. The higher additional
totals will be mainly south of Route 28 and Old Forge... between
McKeever and Atwell. Isolated higher amounts more than a foot
are possible. Additional snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches in
extreme western Hamilton County... especially south of Route
28... and north of Hoffmeister and Piseco.
* Timing... snow rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour are possible
through midnight. The band of lake effect snow will shift south
of the region by 7 am Friday morning.
* Impacts... heavy lake effect snowbands and gusty winds will
lead to blowing and drifting of snow with near whiteout
conditions. Roads will become snow covered and treacherous to
* Winds... west 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
* Temperatures... in the lower to mid 20s... falling into the
teens Friday morning.
A lake effect snow warning means significant amounts of lake-
effect snow are forecast that will make travel very hazardous or
impossible. Lake-effect snow showers typically align themselves
in bands and will likely be intense enough to drop 1 to several
inches of snow per hour for several hours. Visibilities vary
greatly and can drop to zero within minutes. Travel is strongly
discouraged. Commerce could be severely impacted. If you must
travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency.