...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
* locations...North Carolina mountain counties along the Tennessee border from Avery to Swain.
* Hazards...heavy snowfall.
* Timing...snow will continue this morning. Numerous snow showers will likely linger through Saturday afternoon...before tapering off late Saturday evening.
* Accumulations...snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches...with perhaps as much as 12 inches above 5000 feet across the smokies.
* Impacts...the heavy wet snow combined with windy conditions could produce isolated tree and power line damage. Road surfaces may see slightly less snow accumulation...but bridges and overpasses will likely remain snow covered and icy.
* Temperatures...in the lower 30s.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight... food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Please report snow and ice accumulations by calling the National Weather Service toll free at...1...800...2 6 7...8 1 0 1. Leave a message with your observation and the specific location where it occurred. You can also Post your report to National Weather Service Greenville Spartanburg facebook or tweet your report using hashtag nwsgsp. Additional details can be found at www.Weather.Gov/gsp.