...Winter Storm Watch in effect from Sunday evening through late Monday night...
The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter Storm Watch...which is in effect from Sunday evening through late Monday night.
* Locations...this includes Block Island...Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket.
* Accumulations...snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches.
* Hazard types...heavy snow.
* Timing...snow develops after midnight Sunday night. The snow may mix with or change to sleet and rain Monday afternoon before changing back to snow.
* Impacts...hazardous travel is expected along with poor visibility in snow and blowing and drifting snow.
* Winds...northeast 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.
* Visibilities...one quarter mile or less at times.
A Wind Chill Advisory is issued when the wind chill index is likely to reach -15 to -24 degrees for at least 3 hours. Frostbite can develop in just 30 minutes with a wind chill index of -20. If you are heading outdoors...dress in layers and wear a hat and gloves.
A Winter Storm Watch is issued for the potential of accumulating snow of 6 or more inches in a 12 hour period...or 8 or more inches in a 24 hour period. Anyone traveling in the next 24 to 36 hours should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to modify travel plans should winter weather develop.