Daily Stuff 5-14-12 Last day of Iceheilige

By: CoastalAnja , 5:29 PM GMT on May 14, 2012

Hi, folks!

Wicca 101 at 6pm!

I’ve been enjoying the sunshine *so* much, but there’s none at the moment. It started to get foggy last yesterday afternoon and now it’s completely clouded up and foggy at any distance, although that’s been burning off as the morning progressed. It’s pretty breezy, too, gusting up to 20mph and it’s 54F, but not supposed to get all that warm, on 59F.

Classes went pretty well yesterday. Fawkes was there early in the morning and Brea came in at the usual time. Practical Craft was on gathering up and storing a bunch of the dried herbs and I told ‘em about the problems with the rose hip prickles.

We were pretty busy. We still had the Great Garage Sale stuff out and we’ll put that out again over the summer at times and we had a number of folks in, some visiting and some who were doing serious shopping.

Café Press stuff - newest series, “Have you accepted Pan and your Lord and Personal Satyr?” See ‘em here: http://www.cafepress.com/ancientlight/8866346 I spent a while putting some more pieces up late yesterday afternoon.

I have to do some seed planting and some small amount of harvesting before heading to the shop this morning. Tempus is going to be working on seed potato planting. There’s an article http://greenupgrader.com/11708/4-simple-steps-to-g row-a-hundred-pounds-of-potatoes-in-a-barrel/ that talks about what we’re planning. Darwinia gifted us with a bunch of seed potatoes and some tomato plants and some seeds for a variety of squash that she likes, so he’s going to be busy.

He’s also got to rescue one of the railing planters that seems to have bailed out during the night. No idea why, but it’s not on the railing, anymore. We were talking about fastening those down. Obviously, we gotta!

He’s got bread to make, and some house chores.

I’m going to be at the shop. No readings today though, unless you call ahead and at that point I can give you a time to come in, since I can’t do readings unless there’s someone to watch the shop.

I’ll be continuing with processing dried herbs and I’m going to be working again on filling up the herb display.

I also need to start putting away the stuff from the garage sale. If you saw something that you want over the weekend, e-mail or Facebook or call and I can set it by for you, get you the price, whatever. I might…actually that’s a good idea… I’ll get some pictures and put ‘em up. We *can* ship most of it.

We have the Wicca 101 class at 6pm and Tempus’ll be back by then. We’ll stay open through class time tonight.

The shop opens at 11am, but we’ll be there early because of class. Spring hours, 11am-7pm, Thursday through Monday. If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open!

Love & Light,
Anja

***

Space Weather News for May 14, 2012 - http://spaceweather.com
SOLAR TRANSIT: A photographer in France has caught China's experimental space station, the Tiangong-1, passing directly in front of the sun. The photo shows the winged spacecraft backlit by hot plasma as it flits across the solar disk in the neighborhood of giant sunspot AR1476. Check it out on today's edition of http://spaceweather.com.
TIANGONG-1 SIGHTINGS: The Tiangong-1 is much smaller than the International Space Station. Nevertheless, it can be seen with the naked eye shining in the night sky as brightly as the stars of the Big Dipper. Download the Simple Flybys app for sighting opportunities in your neighborhood: http://simpleflybys.com

***

Café Press Products from Ancient Light - http://www.cafepress.com/ancientlight Everything from T-shirts to pillows to coffee mugs to journals with witchy or just fun designs! The newest designs are here: http://www.cafepress.com/ancientlight/8866346 These are the Your Personal Satyr designs.

Spoonflower Fabrics - http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/coastalanja The newest designs are in the Anja’s Spring Garden collection (think daffodils in the snow and violets…). We have designs for sale in the Bugs ‘n Slugs Collection, the Garden Collection and Mushroom Collection and two Pagan Collections are coming soon.

Our Circle’s site! http://www.ancientlight.info/circle/ Add things by e-mailing me here. mbartlett@harborside.com

***

Today
The Moon is a waning crescent. Waning Moon Magick - From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Waning Crescent Moon – Best time for beginning introspective magicks that are more long term. Phase ends on Wednesday at 4:47am.

The pair of points you'll find shining fairly high in the southeast at nightfall are Saturn and (to its lower right) Spica. Look to their lower right for the four-star pattern of Corvus, the Crow. Look farther to their upper left for brighter Arcturus, the "Spring Star."
Mercury is hidden deep in the glow of sunrise. Jupiter is in conjunction behind the Sun.

Celtic Tree Month of Huath Hawthorn May 13 - Jun 9
Goddess Month of Maia runs from 4/18 - 5/15
Goddess Month of Hera runs from 5/16 - 6/12
Runic half-month of Ing, 5/14-5/28 - Male consort of Nerthus, the Earth Mother, Ing is god of the hearth. This time of year expresses potential for abundant growth. (Nigel Pennick, The Pagan Book of Days, Destiny Books, Rochester, Vermont, USA, 1992, p. 70.)

Sun in Taurus
Moon in Pisces
Saturn Lavendar
Planting 5/13-15

****
©2012 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright

****

Calendar
5/14 – Monday – 6pm – Wicca 101 – Lesson 1-2
Venus Retrograde 5-15-12 7:33am
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Rural Tourism Marketing on a Shoestring Workshop - Overleaf Events Center at the Overleaf Lodge, $5.00
Harvest 5/16-17
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Fundraising for Tourism & Developing
Action Teams Workshop - Overleaf Events Center at the Overleaf Lodge, $5.00
5:00 PM - 7:00 PM - FREE EVENT: Community Tourism Kickoff, Location: Ona Restaurant, Yachats
http://industry.traveloregon.com/Departments/Tour ism-Development/Oregon-Rural-Tourism-Studio-1.aspx http://industry.traveloregon.com/Departments/Touri sm-Development/Oregon-Rural-Tourism-Studio-1.aspx
Harvest 5/16-17
5/16 – Wednesday, 3pm – Herbs Outdoors – (no class this week)
5/17 - 3pm, Crones’ Tea
5/17 – 5pm - Wicca 103 – Lesson 5/6
Planting 5/18-19
5/19 – Saturday, 11am - Herb Workshop
Noon-ish – Care and Feeding of a Rock Tumbler
3pm - Sewing Workshop
Sun enters Gemini, 5/20 8:16am
New Moon, 5/20, 4:47pm
Solar Eclipse – 5-20-12 4:23pm
5/20 – Sunday, 10am – Wicca 101
Noon - Brea’s Elements (counseling)
2pm - Practical Craft
Planting 5/23-25
Planting 5/23-25
5/23 – Wednesday 7pm, esbat - Diana’s bow
5/26-28 – Memorial Day weekend
6/2 – Saturday, 11am - Herb Workshop
Noon – Care & Feeding of a Rock Tumbler
3pm - Sewing Workshop
6pm - Metta Meditation
7pm – Movie Night, showing ? (discussion follows)
6/3 – Sunday, 10am-6pm - Tea Leaf & Tarot Readings by Tanya Lester, Tasiographer
6/3 – Sunday, 10am – Wicca 101 Noon - Brea’s Elements (class)
1pm – Free showing of ?
3pm – Discussion follows movie
6/4 – Full Strong Sun Moon at 4:12am, Pathfinding Horse Moon
6/7 – Thursday – Waldport Chamber of Commerce meeting, Salty Dawg Restaurant – Noon
Waldport City Council Meeting – 2pm
----------------------
Planting 6/1-2
June 1-3 – Psychic Fair – Special Guest, Tanya Lester, Tasiographer
6/1 – Friday, Tea Leaf Reading Workshop 7pm – by donation
6/2 – Saturday, 10am-6pm - Tea Leaf & Tarot Readings by Tanya Lester, Tasiographer
6/2 – Brandon Tweed on Raising Fowl
Planting 6/15-16
Harvest 6/17-18
6/16 – Waldport Beachcomber Days
New Moon, 6/19, 8:02am
Sun enters Cancer 4:09pm
Planting 6/20-21
6/20 – Wednesday 7pm, Circle business meeting for Litha (run-through)
Litha Sabbat Open Circle, 6/22, Friday, 7pm at Ancient Light (waxing moon)
6/21 - 3pm, Crones’ Tea
Saturn Direct 6-25-12 1am
Venus Direct 6-27-12 8:07am
Planting 6/29-30
June 30 - July8 – Psychic Fair – Special Guests, Kat Cunningham, Carl Neal & Lupa Bi
Oregon Coast Pan-Pagan Gathering, Friday – Sunday, September 28-30

*****
www.wunderground.com
May. 14, 2012 Rise Set
Actual Time 5:49 AM PDT 8:36 PM PDT
Civil Twilight 5:15 AM PDT 9:10 PM PDT
Nautical Twilight 4:33 AM PDT 9:53 PM PDT
Astronomical Twilight 3:43 AM PDT 10:42 PM PDT
Moon 2:39 AM PDT 2:50 PM PDT
Length Of Visible Light 15h 54m
Length of Day 14h 47m
Tomorrow will be 2m 12s longer.
Waning Crescent, 33% of the Moon is Illuminated

****

Celtic tree month Huath Hawthorn May 13 - Jun 9 - I am fair among flowers - Color: Purple - Class: Peasant - Letter: H - Meaning: Being held back for a period of time - Hawthorn - Like willows, hawthorns have many species in Europe, and they are not always easy to tell apart. All are thorny shrubs in the Rose family (Rosaceae), and most have whitish or pinkish flowers. The common hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna Jacq.) and midland hawthorn (Crataegus laevigata (Poiret) DC.) are both widespread. They are common in abandoned fields and along the edges of forests. Both are cultivated in North America, as are several native and Asiatic hawthorns. Curtis Clark

Huathe - Hawthorne Ogam letter correspondences
Month: April
Color: Purple
Class: Peasant
Letter: H
Meaning: Being held back for a period of time
to study this month - Ur - Heather and Mistletoe Ogam letter correspondences
Month: None
Color: Purple
Class: Heather is Peasant; Mistletoe is Chieftain
Letter: U
Meaning: Healing and development on the spiritual level.

****

Tides for Alsea Bay
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
M 14 Low 2:45 AM 1.9 5:49 AM Rise 2:40 AM 40
14 High 8:22 AM 5.6 8:36 PM Set 2:51 PM
14 Low 2:39 PM 1.2
14 High 9:11 PM 7.0

****

Affirmation/Thought for the Day – Nobody is perfect until you fall in love with them.

****

Journal Prompt – Expository - Find out about the history of child labor in the United States, using print or electronic resources at school. Write a brief report about the subject, describing work children did and how and when the U.S banned child labor.

****

Quotes
Certainly the most diverse, if minor, pastime of literary life is the game of Find the Author. - Arthur Miller (1915-2005) US playwright
Challenges make life interesting, however, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. - Mark Twain
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Colors are the smiles of nature. - Leigh Hunt (1784-1859) English writer

SPIKES

I ran my fingers through my hair
From the roots, straight out;
Using mousse to make it stay,
Spiking straight out like blonde straw.

My outward demeanor is very calm
But just for once I wanted everyone
To see, when they look at me,
The wild turbulence inside.

I put on my red t-shirt inside out
And cut the ends of my new jeans
With pinking shears from my basket.
I painted my tennis shoes with dye,
Now they are purple with silver studs.

The studs hurt my feet sometimes,
But that is okay because I'm still alive
And pain can remind me of that.
My anger is buried so very deep

That I forget that it is even there...
So now my hair is sharp like needles
And I am a streaked blonde porcupine.
Don't get too close to me, it isn't safe

Until the poison has all dripped out,
Spikes have softened back to curls
The toxic anger and pain have left,
And once again I feel cleansed and human. - © Copyright 10/12/2008, by Beth Clare Johnson, (Mystic Amazon)

****

Magick – Witchcraft and the Power of the Spoken Word by Melanie McLean October 11, 2000
I am a practicing Shaman, and a Psychic Counselor. It's what I do for a living, and I take it very seriously. My business has a lot to do with the spoken word. I feel my job bears a huge responsibility. About a year ago the integrity of my word became more important than ever. This caused me to look closely at the spoken word, what it means in spell-craft, but more importantly, what it means in everyday living.
Your word is the most powerful gift you have, but it is a two edged sword. It has the power to tear down, and the power to create. A thought is born in the deep recesses of the mind. It may represent truth, or an illusion, but when you open your mouth and speak it into existence, it becomes a tangible reality. It now has spirit, life, and force. What does it bring forth? Every action, and circumspectly every word, has an equal and opposite reaction. So you must be careful with your words, for they form and create the reality of your existence.
Many of my friends who engage in witchcraft do so because it is a way of life to them. Then there are others who do magick to get even with an enemy, or to get their boyfriend back, etc. This article isn't about intent, integrity, or even ethics in witchcraft (I could write a book about how that is being abused), but rather about the everyday magick of the spoken word. It all boils down to this: You can call up one deity after another, align all your correspondences (the phase of the moon, the proper hour, the proper herbs, etc.), but if the words that come from your mouth in everyday living contradict your spell-work, then you are defeating yourself.
Some practitioners get so wrapped up in their desires, that they fail to see that the real power of magick is in how one is living every moment, every hour.
Depending on how you use your words, their power can free you, or enslave you. Your words ARE magick whether they are spoken in spell-work or at the breakfast table. They can activate love or fear. Think about it; you can speak an unkind word to a child and the power of that word is like casting a spell of doubt on them that can last a lifetime. You can speak a word of kindness to someone and lift a cloud of insecurity that has cursed them for years. Clearly, your words are magick, and when you impart their magick it can result in that person's mental imprisonment or release.
If you consider yourself a man or woman of power, then you must realize the magick of the spoken word. Be aware of what you say and remember that YOUR ears hear what you say too. Speak with wisdom and great control so that your words can bring life and peace.

****
Energy list
5/13/12 – “I am still very sick and have been for a month now - really need help kicking this on the spiritual plane - depression makes you sick and I am having a hard time climbing out of this hole. I now have bronchitis as well as the ongoing infection - see Dr again on Monday - This is probably the only request for help/healing I have ever made - but I just can't seem to kick this on my own. Whatever you think will help - I feel like I am dying a very slow and painful death.” Update 5-8 Doing better, but still need help.
5/8/12 - 9-year-old boy with an inoperable brain tumor. Starting radiation. Family and friends asking help for him and for the children that know him. Update 4/7 He’s doing pretty well and back in school despite the treatments. Update 5/8 No news is good news.
4/16/12 – For someone who has found a dream job and wants some extra oomph to help him get it.

****

Silliness – Area 51 Chips

Have you heard of the Air Force's ultra-high-security, super-secret base in Nevada, known simply as "Area 51"?

Well, late one afternoon, the Air Force folks out at Area 51 were very surprised to see a Cessna landing at their "secret" base.

They immediately impounded the aircraft and hauled the pilot into an interrogation room.

The pilot's story was that he took off from Las Vegas, got lost, and spotted the base just as he was about to run out of fuel. The Air Force started a full FBI background check on the pilot and held him overnight during the investigation.

By the next day, they were finally convinced that the pilot really was lost and wasn't a spy.
They gassed up his airplane, gave him a terrifying "you-did-not-see-a-base" briefing, complete with threats of spending the rest of his life in prison, told him Las Vegas was that-a-way on such-and-such a heading, and sent him on his way.

The next day, to the total disbelief of the Air Force, the same Cessna showed up again. Once again, the MPs surrounded the plane -- only this time there were two people in the plane.

The same pilot jumped out and said, "Do anything you want to me, but my wife is in the plane and you have to tell her where I was last night!”

****

Reader Comments

Comments will take a few seconds to appear.

Post Your Comments

Please sign in to post comments.

or Join

No reader comments have been posted for this blog entry yet.

About CoastalAnja

Moved to Oregon from Balto, MD, '83, to the coast in '99. Love gardens, the outdoors and the ocean, and write about it in a daily newsletter. Shared!

Local Weather